Sugarloaf's Joy Halcott Wins East Coast Private Pilots Scholarship!

Congratulations to Joy  - she now has additional funds to help her complete her flight training!
Joy is just a few cross country flights and a couple of night hours away from earning her wings.  From the ECPP Facebook Post:

"Our EAST COAST PRIVATE PILOTS FB group has raised money for student pilot awards ($500). Another $500 award will be at the end of the year and will be awarded to the winner of another student pilot.
Here is the winning essay for June 1, 2016:
The first time I climbed into a cockpit I felt something click inside me. That's not to say it's easy. Learning to fly is one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do. Nevertheless, with every lesson, I feel like an addict as my capacity to learn gets pushed to its limits, and every time I land I'm hungry to know more, and go further. I have mainly financed my training and education personally thus far. I have completed several classroom courses with the CCBC Aviation Certificate Program. I have received a 4.0 GPA (including Ground School, Aviation History, and Flight Training), and received the highest grade in those classes. I passed my FAA Knowledge test on the first try. I am now more than $17,000, 1 year, 100 hours, 5 CFIs (due to airline advancement and health,) 3 planes (due to school's loss,) and multiple solos later. Cancellations due to weather, plane and CFI unavailability, and maintenance/loss of planes have prolonged my training, even with utilizing vacation time to schedule extra lessons. I am so close to finishing, and the biggest roadblock I face is finances. I am committed to continuing my training as long as I can, but I admit that I did not anticipate so many setbacks, or for my training to take so long to complete. I have gone over the amount I had saved in advance for my training. If I receive this scholarship, I know I can finish.
I have been involved in charity work my entire life, and proudly co-founded a women-led 501c3 organization that still exists today. More recently, I have become involved in my local Civil Air Patrol, WAI, and joined the Essex Skypark Association. I also joined the Ninety-Nines, and designed a Facebook page for the local Maryland chapter prior to joining. If I receive this scholarship, I will finish my training. I will then continue to use my skills as a pilot through the Ninety-Nines and Civil Air Patrol to teach about aviation, encourage others to become pilots, and fly rescue missions. I also hope to one day become a CFI, and mentor other Ninety-Nines. Today I look back and realize if certain events had not taken place - if I had not faced down being broken, I never would have had the courage to be where I am today. The obstacles are great, as I have no idea how I will continue to afford flying, but somehow I will find a way. I will continue to learn, because I know who I am now. There is no going back, only forward. I am a Pilot.
Joy Halcott"

Popular posts from this blog

Join Us At The Mid-Atlantic Spring Section Meeting April 26 & 27, 2024

2023 SUGARLOAF 99S SCHOLARSHIP WINDOW IS NOW CLOSED!

Christmas at the Airport